414 Deacon Blvd
Winston-Salem, NC 27105
Who: Black Violin
When: August 25 at 7 pm
Tickets: Start at $20 CLICK HERE
Parking: $6 in Coliseum Parking Lots
What: Black Violin will be held in the Annex Theatre at the Winston-Salem Fairgrounds.
Tickets start at $20
Doors open at 6pm, Show at 7 pm
For more information on Black Violin: https://www.blackviolin.net/
Black Violin is lead by classically trained string players Wil B. (viola) and Kev Marcus (violin), and joined onstage by DJ SPS and drummer Nat Stokes. The band uses their unique blend of classical and hip-hop music to overcome stereotypes while encouraging people of all ages, races, and economic backgrounds to join together to break down cultural barriers. In the past 12 months, the band has performed for over 100,000 students in the US and Europe, and has partnered with Yamaha EDU and NAMM (National Association of Music Manufactures) to continue supporting music education.
Black Violin, along side artists such as Yo-Yo Ma and Elton John, recently joined with Turnaround Arts to bring arts education to struggling schools in underserved communities. Turnaround Arts is a program of the John F. Kennedy Center for Performing Arts and the President’s Committee. In addition, Black Violin has composed for a major FOX Television original, and has been featured by ESPN as the official artist of the 2017 US Open (tennis) and 2016 & 2017 Heisman Trophy Award ceremonies. They have been featured on The Tonight Show, Ellen, The Wendy William’s Show, NPR, and more.
The group has collaborated professionally or performed with multiple well known artists including Kanye West, Aerosmith, Tom Petty, Wu-Tang Clan, Wyclef Jean and Alicia Keys. Their most recent album release, Stereotypes, hit #1 on Billboard’s Classical Crossover chart and #4 on Billboard’s R&B Chart.
26K Monthly Listeners
- Average over 150 shows per year
- Performed for over 100,000 students across North America and Europe in the past year.
- Performed at official NFL functions for three Superbowls
- TEDx talk given by Kev Marcus – Dec. 2013
- Collaborated with the Soul Children of Chicago at the 2013 “Kids’ Inaugural: Our Children, Our Future,” a concert coordinated by Michelle Obama and Jill Biden to honor military families – Jan. 2013
- Performed at President Obama’s Inauguration – Jan. 2013
- SXSW Keynote performance – March 2014
- Bonnaroo performance – June 2014
- Featured at Google’s Zeitgeist Minds Conference – Sept. 2014
- NAAM Winter Show performance – Dec. 2016
- ESPN Heisman Trophy Presentation 2016
- Performed for 19,000 students at the Music Center’s Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in Los Angeles over a 3 day period – Feb. 2016
- Composed the score for Fox’s new TV series Pitch – Spring 2016
- Featured performer for NAAM’s Grand Rally (expected attendance 100,000+) – Jan. 2017
ESPN US Open Commercial – April 2017
ESPN Heisman Trophy Presentation 2017- December 2017